The Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Graduate Certificate program offers students the opportunity to develop their research and scholarship in the areas of gender and sexuality studies, transnational feminism, queer theory, transgender studies, race, decolonial thought, disability studies, digital humanities and border studies. The WGSS certificate emphasizes praxis, theory and methodology and is grounded in a feminist analytic. The certificate challenges disciplinary boundaries and facilitates critical reflection within the field of gender, sexuality and feminist studies. Students must complete 12 credits.
How to apply:
The WGSS Certificate is open to both current UConn M.A./PhD candidates and non-degree students. All applicants should apply via the Graduate School Application.
Current UConn M.A. or PhD students should apply for the Graduate Certificate in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies as soon as they decide to pursue the certificate. Final application deadlines by semester of intended enrollment are published by The Graduate School and can be found here. Current undergraduates applying to enroll in the certificate program after graduation should apply during their senior year.
Applications will be evaluated upon receipt of all required documentation:
- a two-page personal statement detailing the relationship of the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Graduate Certificate to your academic or career goals
- current resume or CV
- one letter of recommendation from a professor familiar with your work (only required for applicants not currently pursuing an M.A. or PhD at UConn)
- Unofficial transcript(s) for all undergraduate and graduate coursework (uploaded)
- When completing the online application form, under Intended Program, please select:
- Level of Study: Certificate
- Academic Areas: Humanities
- Program: Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Grad Certificate
- Fields marked with a red asterisk (*) on the application are required fields. Please note a recommendation letter is not required for current M.A. and PhD students
- The non-refundable application fee of $75 (this fee will be waived for current M.A. and PhD students)
Applications are evaluated as soon as the student’s file is complete.
If you have any questions on how to use the online application system, please contact The Graduate School at 860-486-3617.
Students must complete 12 credits.
Required Courses: WGSS 5365 or WGSS 5366
Elective Requirements: Students must complete 9 credits of graduate-level elective courses in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies or cross-listed with Women’s Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Students may also choose electives from WGSS-approved courses offered in other disciplines as listed on the WGSS Website. No more than 3 credits of Independent Study (WGSS 5390) may be applied towards the certificate, unless approved by the WGSS Graduate Studies Committee. Students who will be working as Teaching Assistants in WGSS are strongly encouraged to take WGSS 5366.
A complete listing of our WGSS graduate courses can be viewed on the Course Catalog page. Current and past WGSS approved courses offered in other disciplines can be viewed on our Course Offerings page.
Questions about program requirements can be directed to our Educational Program Coordinator, Stephanie Lumbra